Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Written September 23, 2010  8:59 pm

Anita made further progress weaning off the ventilator today.  She managed to breathe without the ventilator for a period of twenty two (22) minutes.  She also had a session with Physical Therapy, and sat on the edge of the bed, showing good progress with her balance and strength on her right side.  Speech therapy adjusted the tracheostomy tube bulb for an 0.5 hour in the evening, which gave her the opportunity to talk with sons, mom, and sister-in-law, in advance of her transfer to the Shepherd Center in Atlanta.  Anita and John will fly to Atlanta, GA by air-ambulance on Friday morning.  A nurse and Respiratory therapist will also be present on the flight.  John will split his time between Atlanta and Richmond in the coming weeks.  We are confident that Anita will make good progress in her recovery at the Shepherd Center and look forward to her return to the Richmond area in the near future.

I've always hated good-byes.  I'm surprised I have never tripped over all the loose threads I've left dangling in my life.  I am the one at reunions who joyfully suggests we keep in touch and get together soon.  That rarely happens, but it's more pleasant than a good-bye.

So, how do I say farewell to the boys.  A Hallmark card moment for sure.  But, I discovered life doesn't work like a greeting card.  There was no swell in the music.  No close up.  The trach bulb was adjusted to allow me to talk. My mouth and airway filled with secretions. I was suctioned, and I think my heartfelt sentiment was simply, "do your best," which I delivered as enthusiastically as I could.  My boys.  They looked so grown-up, yet still children.  I think they responded, "see ya".

So much to say.  So many emotions.  The room was filled to the brim of all that was left unsaid.  As it should be.  Life goes on.  Here and in Atlanta.  Now...for just a little while.

No comments:

Post a Comment