Friday, March 6, 2015


When was the last time you did something for the very first time. 
    - A quote seen on a pillow

The above message inspired me on many levels.  When I saw this pillow, my mind immediately went to a train ride on the Orient Express, base camp at Mount Everest, a villa in Tuscany, or going on safari in Africa.  All these premiers sound exciting, fresh, compelling.  But there are so many other firsts that can be experienced right now.  Just as I am.

Starlight, star bright, the first star I see tonight. Twinkling and true. Full of promise. The first snowfall of winter.  Gentle feathered white fluff covering the last colors of autumn.  The first daffodil bloom of spring.  Yellow sunshine rising from the winter landscape.

Although an event may not be my first ever, I can always view it with a new appreciation. Spotting a dolphin arcing through an ocean wave or catching a glimpse of a deer in the woods always takes my breath away.  Every single time is just as amazing as the very first time.

I'm not afraid to try new things.  A new hairstyle, a fresh recipe, learning a new skill, taking a class, or just trying a different coffee or shampoo provide many firsts for me.  I love going to movies, good or bad, it's still a first.  I enjoy exploring books, new authors, new bands, travelling to new places.

Trying new things has given me an expanded appreciation of my personal landscape.  Through differences I see newness.  Firsts.  I am blessed by all the firsts in my life. I hope for many more.  Like a kid, I want to go out of my way to find a puddle to splash in, a pile of snow to crunch through. Trusting.  Exploring, as if for the first time.  Knowing that my feet won't always be wet or cold.  Now...for just a little while.

1 comment:

  1. You see it with fresh eyes and heart all the time Anita. ;) And add...first published novel to your list!!!

    ReplyDelete