Wednesday, April 2, 2014



Written September 4, 2010  9:16 pm

A spinal tap procedure was performed this morning to obtain spinal fluid for various tests to check if the steroid/plasmapherisis treatment program is having the desired effect.  Results of these tests will be forthcoming over the next 2-3 days.  Anita also had a blood transfusion, due to low hemoglobin levels, considered a probable consequence of the plasmapherisis procedure.  Anita was quiet tired thereafter and rested for the remainder of the day.  The current plan is to continue with the daily steroid program, cease (or postpone) the plasmapherisis procedures, review the spinal fluid test results (next 2-3 days) and determine next steps at that juncture.

Spinal Tap.  It's not just the name of a band.  Having several residents perform this procedure while side lying in bed, tangled in ventilator tubes is anything but pleasant.  I felt no pain, but the position was getting more and more uncomfortable with each, "Are you ok Mrs. Crean?" and "Sorry this is taking so long."  The thought of a long needle being inserted into the spine to retrieve fluid is daunting.  So....be mindful. Try to think about puppies and marshmallows.  I remember mouthing "help me" to John who was sitting in a chair facing me.  He just looked stressed and helpless.

Tests.  I sure do have a lot of them.  These procedures break up the monotony  of a hospital day.  Not something that is always welcome on the agenda, but they do take time.  I remember hoping and praying that I would pass all these tests.  I prayed that I would advance my way out of this bed and onto Rehab.  But I stayed here.  Now...for just a little while.

No comments:

Post a Comment