Wednesday, May 21, 2014


Written September 11, 2010 7:35 pm

Anita had a good night's sleep which continued through the early morning. She was quite alert and in good spirits for the rest of the day.  Her vital signs (i.e. temperature, pulse, blood pressure, etc.) were stable. She visited with various family members and a number of friends for short periods of time throughout the day and was engaged with her visitors.

John tells me it's time.  There are many friends who want to visit and he feels I am up for it.  I want to see them, but I don't want them to see me.  I know I must look horrible.  I can't talk.  I can't even wave.  But somehow, that doesn't matter.  All these folks are praying for me, leaving me messages on Caring bridge, caring for my family.  I need to let them in.  I need to see their smiles, feel their comfort.

John funnels folks in just one to two at a time.  It's really awkward in the beginning.  Worse than a first date.  A lot of silences, but the ventilator fills the void, making sure no one forgets it is there.  John does a great job of keeping the one-sided conversation flowing. The sentiments are kind and helpful.  I like hearing about the kids and my dog. The anecdotes about them give me hope that there is some normalcy in their lives.  I love seeing John get a much needed hug.

We are so blessed.  The love from friends and family that surrounds us is holding us up.  I learn there is even a sign-up sheet to walk Miss Trudy everyday.  My mom tells me that she's quickly running out of room for storing all the food that is coming in. The comfort this provides is incredible.  I will never, ever forget these kindnesses and I hope someday to pay it back, forward, sideways, and upside down.

Thanks to all of you for keeping us going.  Thank God for friends and family.  You guys are the greatest! You help keep me going.

Now...for just a little while

No comments:

Post a Comment