Tuesday, May 27, 2014


Written September 12, 2010  9:14 pm

Anita had another good night's sleep last night.  She visited with various family members and friends throughout the day.  A highlight of the day was a visit from a therapy dog (labradoodle) from the Delta Society Pet partners, which Anita quite enjoyed.

Dogs.  I've always shared my life with one. My first was a beagle mix who watched over me as I grew up.  I got her when I was just 5 and we shared many adventures. She taught me to notice nature and I taught her to be street smart.  Tippy used to follow me everywhere.  She learned to wait patiently for me outside the local 7-11, where I would get a candy bar and a Slurpee, and always reward her with a chewy, chocolaty Tootsie Roll.  There were no leash laws back then, so my best friend accompanied me on all my travels.  She patiently listened to all my teenage angst with knowing, soulful eyes.  She was always there for me. We picked right up where we left off when I came home from college. She knew me better than anyone.  After her death, I thought I could never replace her.  I was right.  Her unique "pupness" could not be duplicated.  Eventually new paws would scratch at my heart though, and I would invite another dog into my life.

I think my dog Trudy sent this little pup to visit me today.  She knows I need a fur fix.  The therapy dog jumped up on my bed and John helped guide my arm to him.  My fingers tangled in his curls and when he looked at me with his brown eyes, a genuine smile softened my face.  This is so much better than any medication.  Our visit was short, but I won't forget the pressure of the dog on the bed, his healing eyes. Therapy dogs.  Their restorative powers are magical.  I am not sure man will ever understand the width and depth of a dog's healing potential.  I am grateful for all the dogs who have graced my life.  I am thankful for the nurturing visit today providing hope and solace for this ravaged body, frustrated soul.  Now...for just a little while.

No comments:

Post a Comment